It is a use of programming technology to handle the interconnections and interactions on private and public cloud infrastructure. It joins the automated task into a workflow to achieve a goal, with policy enforcement and permissions oversight. Cloud orchestration is used for provision, deployment or start servers, gain and assign storage capacity, network management, creation of VMs, and gain access to particular software on cloud services. This is achieved via three main attributes: service, workload, and resource orchestration. The multi cloud orchestration helps in integrating permission checks for security and compliance. This technology works with heterogeneous systems that service a global cloud deployment in various geographical locations and with various providers. Many orchestrator users run public cloud and private deployments.
How is it different from automation?
Automation is deemed a subset of orchestration. In other words, it provides coordination among and across many automated activities. It concentrates on making a single task repeatable quickly with minimal operator intervention. As there are many moving parts in cloud, orchestration bestows high availability, failure recovery, scaling, dependency management, and many other tasks and attributes combined into a single process that fades staff effort. Orchestration makes the resources and processes visible that simply cloud automation cannot.
- Cloud orchestration is a way to accelerate the delivery of services and reduce the costs. A cloud orchestrator automates the management, coordination and arrangement of complex computer systems, services and middleware.
- Apart from reducing staff effort, it eradicates the possibility of errors injected into provisioning, scaling or other cloud processes.
- It supports the delivery of cloud resources to customers and end users, entailing in a self service model where users request resources with no involvement of IT.
- It helps the IT companies to standardize the templates and enforce security practices. It makes the resources and costs visible and under control. As the orchestrator platform looks upon interactions of many different elements of the application stack, it can ease down on the communication and connections from a single workload to other applications and users, and guarantee links are accurately configured and maintained. This calls for a web based portal so that orchestration can be managed via a single pane of glass.
- The centralized nature enables the admins to view and enhance automation scripts. In high end companies, developers prefer cloud orchestration software as a self service means to deploy their resources and can track the reliance of the company on various IT offerings and handle the chargebacks.